Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Apple Of My Own Eye: By Stream Of Consciousness Eddie


So, last week my friend was telling me that pesticides have been linked to an increased risk of Parkinson's disease. He said, this is why it's best to eat organic produce or at least make sure I thoroughly wash my fruits and vegetables. So, I had this shiny, waxed, red apple from a fruit basket a few days later. I had just woken up and I was really hungry and I knew it would be a lot of trouble to wash it and get all the wax and junk off. Then I thought 'Screw Parkinson's. I'm Irish. We're survivors.'

Bring it on, Parkinson's.


*Remember: Real Irish people can eat Parkinson's for breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the husband of a Parkinson's patient, I have to assume you have had no direct, or even indirect, relationship with someone suffering from Parkinson's. If you had, I think you would not have made what I perceive as an incredibly insensitive comment.

J.C. Brown

Lazy Third Eye said...

Dear Mr. Brown,

We are sorry that you've been offended by one of our posts. We do not feel that anything making fun of Parkinson's disease or Parkinson's patients has been posted on our site. So, with respect, we do not feel that anyone was being insensitive or offensive. As is often the case with people sensitive to a certain topic, often a joke mentioning the topic is taken the wrong way. In a hurtful manner contrary to the original intent.

In no way was Stream of Consciousness Eddie making fun of the disease or people with the disease. Please take under consideration that you may've misinterpreted the humor due to your intimacy with Parkinson's disease. If George Carlin makes a joke, for instance, as we know that he did, where he discusses cancer, it is not to belittle someone's suffering from the disease or pretend that the disease isn't serious. That wasn't the goal or point of his humor any more than Parkinson's was the goal or butt of Eddie's post. However, if someone has been personally afflicted with cancer, they may miss out on George's intention.

We respectfully ask that you realize you've missed the intention and hope that you do and hold no ill will. Our site is meant to cause laughter with occasionally bawdy humor, not to be negative or hurtful in any way.

Thank you for stopping by our site
Sincerely,
Matt, moderator and editor of Lazy Third Eye.